Hamara Makes a Commitment to Support Refugees
8th September 2015
You will have all seen the news recently regarding the situation with refugees and asylum seekers from Syria attempting to come into Europe. Hamara currently works with many migrants through various projects and is extending its commitment by working with city-wide partners to respond to the situation.
Hanif Malik, Chief Executive of Hamara said:
” Hamara already work in partnership with agencies such as PAFARS who do some fantastic work on limited resources – we are therefore pleased to announce that we will be acting as a collection point until the end of September to help resource much needed goods “
Items currently required which can be donated at Hamara include:
- Tins: Tomatoes, pulses, beans baked beans, spaghetti, chickpea, vegetables and fruit, fish and meat (except pork). Custard, rice pudding etc. are also good.
- Dry food: Sugar, rice, pasta, couscous, pulses, cereals, (these are split down into portions, so catering size bags are useful), tea, small jars of instant coffee, cereals.
- Sweets: Dried fruit, nuts, biscuits, chocolate bars and cakes.
- We also need: Long-life milk, fruit juices, and diluting juice/squash, cooking oil.
- Toiletries such as soap, shower gel, shampoo, deodorant, tooth paste and brushes, safety razors and sanitary towels. Things like babies’ nappies, talcum powder, baby wipes, etc. are also always helpful.
- Clothes, blankets and sleeping bags
Notes to Editors:
Hamara has grown to be the largest ethnic minority organisations in the voluntary and community sector in Leeds. Based in a purpose developed £1.2 million centre in Beeston, Hamara stands out as a beacon within the community and voluntary sector and its success has inspired many other organisations to emulate its achievements. Working primarily (but not exclusively) with the South Asian community and now employing over 20 staff, Hamara currently deliver several different strands of work.
For further information please contact:
The Hamara Centre
Tel: (0113) 2773330