This years CFL Awards were hosted by the Leeds City Varieties, sponsored by British Gas, Trinity Leeds and The Works Skatepark and run in partnership with first direct arena and Marks & Spencer. The event, celebrates the work of Leeds’ children and young people, and the adults, places and organisations who are making the city a better place to grow up in. Nadiya Hussain, the current winner of the Great British Bake Off, was joined by Sir Gary Verity, Claire Young from the Apprentice and Leeds Rhino’s hero Jamie Jones Buchanan to present the awards. Also presenting were the Lord Mayor of Leeds, Cllr Judith Chapman, Cllr Lucinda Yeadon and six young people, including the Leeds Children’s Mayor, Hannah Begum.
The Awards presented at this years event included;
- Supporting Schools: Children’s Choice award – Hamara Supplementary School
- Children’s champion (under 11 years) – Harry Phillips
- Children’s champion (11-18 years) – Junior Frood
- Looking after children and young people – Lynn
- Best place in Leeds for children and young people – Roundhay Park & Tropical World
- Best overall contribution to child friendly Leeds – Leeds Play Network
Councillor Lucinda Yeadon, executive member responsible for children and families said:
“I would like to congratulate all the winners, those shortlisted and all the nominees – they are shining examples of what it really means to be child friendly”.